The Conservator will be expected to carry out conservation treatment on the Museum’s photography collections, care for relevant collections, ensuring their physical safety- stability, keeping detailed records of the works carried out along with communicating the Photography Conservator activities with his/ her colleagues and interest groups.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Visits Academics and Scholars
- Ensures adherence to policies and procedures
- Works as part of The Collections Division and provide accurate information to the Orientalist Museum staff
- Carries out conservation treatments on the Museum’s Photography collections, care for relevant collections, ensuring that their physical safety-stability, keeping detailed records of the works carried out
- Communicates the Photography conservation activities with his/ her colleagues and interest groups
- Assists with day to day running of the laboratory (including procuring materials and equipment)
- Ensures familiarity with condition surveys with the ability to undertake same
- Ensures good knowledge of monitoring and controlling the environment in which collections are stored or displayed to prevent deterioration
- Liaises with museum curators, registrars and other colleagues
- Assists with setting up exhibitions
- Applies preventive conservation principles and care of collections with interest into Photography
- Packs objects for transport and accompanying objects in transit to other locations if required
- Takes supervisory roles occasionally (i.e. interns, volunteers and newer staff members)
- Publishes his/her work, under the Orientalist policies and procedures
- Ensures well versed process in mount making
- Any other activity as described by the Head for Conservation
- BA or MA/MSc in Conservation of museum objects – Specialization in Photography. Master’s Degree is highly preferred.
- Minimum of 4 years work experience
- Be familiar with Photography technology and deterioration of Photography (both support and painted matter)
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong research ability (scientific, academic, etc.) issues that relate to Photography conservation
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team
- Professional and friendly manner.
- Interested in professional development.
- Communication in Arabic and /or other languages
- Knowledge in History of Photography
- Have a good network of specialised contacts