The purpose of this position is preservation of QM objects in accordance with the International Council of Museums – Committee for Conservation Code of Conduct.
- Create and update Condition Reports for Artworks both on display and in storage.
- Assess and advise on correct packing and safe storage of objects.
- Supervise the ongoing care and conservation of Public Artworks.
- Hire and supervise of contractors to undertake works, working closely with QM Procurement Dept and PA Head of Collections.
- Obtain site access for contractors and works permits as necessary.
- Obtain information about artworks in the collection and permissions for proposed treatments from relevant Artist/s or Galleries.
- Establish object conservation priorities and schedule for works.
- Assess and advise on new artwork proposals in relation to materials and environment.
- Coordinate purchase and shipping of materials for conservation, in discussion with relevant QM departments.
- Practical and theoretical knowledge in conservation.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Fluency in English, Arabic desirable.
- Computer literacy, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop, (Articheck desirable).
- Experience of working with mixed collections in Museums.
- Experience of collection management database systems.
- Experience of contracts.
- Experience of working in the region an advantage.
- Knowledge of Registrar processes, and ICOM- Committee for Conservation Code of Conduct.
Education, Experience, and certification requirements
- BA or Master in Conservation of museum objects - Specializing in one of the relevant disciplines, Archaeology, Objects, Textiles, Paper, Paintings, Preventive Conservation.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience.