Senior Researcher/ Encyclopedia Lead
Arab Museum Of Modern Art
To manage Mathaf (Arab Museums of Modern Art) Research Department and team by conducting research on its collections, produces content for publications and online projects; supports research for exhibitions; and creates content for public programs related to its research including academic symposia, exhibitions, workshops, talks, and lectures.
1. Management and Planning
• Manage Research Department programs and initiatives with Mathaf and QM staff
• Manage workflow and needs for Mathaf’s Encyclopedia of Modern Art and the Arab World
• Manage research-based material for Mathaf Library and Research, including the Arabic Art Glossary
• Assist with the development of programs, events and material for the Mathaf Library
• Manage museum research archive
• Manage Research space and affairs
• Manage the Research department’s annual plan in alignment with museum programs
• Report regularly to Deputy Director of Curatorial Affairs and coordinate with Curators and Head of Collection Management regarding Research priorities and programs related to the Collection.
• Prepare reports and evaluations of Research programs
• Develop and implement Research budget in support of museum operations
• Contribute to update knowledge and content of the collection and data in collaboration with Collections team.
• Collaborate with Curatorial team on research endeavors that support collections and exhibitions in preparing material for projects
• Contribute to content and management of symposia and conferences
• Oversee research initiatives underlying Mathaf’s strategic goals and annual plan.
• Oversee the administrative needs of Research staff as needed
• Advises on peer-review and academic commissions
• Oversee Research department’s administration and content production
• Work closely with Mathaf’s Deputy Director for Curatorial Affairs and plays a strategic role in developing Research programs and related events in collaboration with curators and educators guiding its growth as a platform for research
• Serve as the main liaison between Research and other museum departments
• Serve as the focal point for professionals and research institutes in the region and beyond regarding academic content and respective programs
• Represent Mathaf’s Research at local and international conferences/symposia as needed
• Manages a full-time team of five onsite staff and project-based team of freelance scholars and senior academic advisors producing or editing content for the museum.
3. Talent Management
• Encourage and develop collaboration with other institutions, museums and universities, with similar programs and goals
• Focus on developing and processing initiatives and programs that generate new thinking around the material in the permanent collection and about the art of the region
• Lead the Research department’s academic writing and the editing of content for publications, including catalogues, essays and encyclopedia work
• Assist in recruitment, training and support of new staff and interns for Research department
• Broad knowledge of contemporary and modern art, regional context, in the Arab World and its historical and cultural connections.
• Excellent writing and communication skills (English and Arabic), other languages suitable
• Excellent administrative and communication skills
• Experience in developing and overseeing budgets
• Proven research skills and evidence of academic publishing
• Proactive, flexible approach and an ability to work as part of a team, contributing positively to team goals and museum strategies
• Computer literacy suitable (Microsoft Word, Excel, SharePoint, EMu, Symphony, SPSS)
• PhD in a relevant subject, preferably art history, or equivalent preferred
• A minimum of 9 years of related experience