Senior Researcher/ Encyclopedia Lead
To manage Mathaf (Arab Museums of Modern Art) Research Department and team by conducting research on its collections, produces content for publications and online projects; supports research for exhibitions; and creates content for public programs related to its research including academic symposia, exhibitions, workshops, talks, and lectures.
1. Management and Planning
• Manage Research Department programs and initiatives with Mathaf and QM staff
• Manage workflow and needs for Mathaf’s Encyclopedia of Modern Art and the Arab World
• Manage research-based material for Mathaf Library and Research, including the Arabic Art Glossary
• Assist with the development of programs, events and material for the Mathaf Library
• Manage museum research archive
• Manage Research space and affairs
• Manage the Research department’s annual plan in alignment with museum programs
• Report regularly to Deputy Director of Curatorial Affairs and coordinate with Curators and Head of Collection Management regarding Research priorities and programs related to the Collection.
• Prepare reports and evaluations of Research programs
• Develop and implement Research budget in support of museum operations
• Contribute to update knowledge and content of the collection and data in collaboration with Collections team.
• Collaborate with Curatorial team on research endeavors that support collections and exhibitions in preparing material for projects
• Contribute to content and management of symposia and conferences
• Oversee research initiatives underlying Mathaf’s strategic goals and annual plan.
• Oversee the administrative needs of Research staff as needed
• Advises on peer-review and academic commissions
• Oversee Research department’s administration and content production
• Work closely with Mathaf’s Deputy Director for Curatorial Affairs and plays a strategic role in developing Research programs and related events in collaboration with curators and educators guiding its growth as a platform for research
• Serve as the main liaison between Research and other museum departments
• Serve as the focal point for professionals and research institutes in the region and beyond regarding academic content and respective programs
• Represent Mathaf’s Research at local and international conferences/symposia as needed
• Manages a full-time team of five onsite staff and project-based team of freelance scholars and senior academic advisors producing or editing content for the museum.
3. Talent Management
• Encourage and develop collaboration with other institutions, museums and universities, with similar programs and goals
• Focus on developing and processing initiatives and programs that generate new thinking around the material in the permanent collection and about the art of the region
• Lead the Research department’s academic writing and the editing of content for publications, including catalogues, essays and encyclopedia work
• Assist in recruitment, training and support of new staff and interns for Research department
• Broad knowledge of contemporary and modern art, regional context, in the Arab World and its historical and cultural connections.
• Excellent writing and communication skills (English and Arabic), other languages suitable
• Excellent administrative and communication skills
• Experience in developing and overseeing budgets
• Proven research skills and evidence of academic publishing
• Proactive, flexible approach and an ability to work as part of a team, contributing positively to team goals and museum strategies
• Computer literacy suitable (Microsoft Word, Excel, SharePoint, EMu, Symphony, SPSS)
• PhD in a relevant subject, preferably art history, or equivalent preferred
• A minimum of 9 years of related experience