Senior Exhibition Designer
The Exhibition Designer will be expected to design and provide technical expertise and oversight for the 3-dimensional design and installation of exhibitions
• Create budgets related to design and installation of design component exhibition projects led by QM, both in-house and off-site; including budget forecasting and cost management during project development and deliver.
• Manage the design and installation related expenditure of exhibition project budgets, including the procurement of materials and contractor and consultant services where necessary.
• Follow existing QM policies and procedures, and assist in the development of new policies and procedures related to 2D and 3D design development, interpretive development (in collaboration with QM Curatorial, Exhibition, and Education departments),
• Responsible for delivery and evaluation of exhibitions. Work within established QM branding, exhibitions and interpretation design guidelines and communicate regularly with Education and Communications Division designers.
• Manage the delivery of 3D design services and technical advice where appropriate to: Collections, Communications, and Education Division staff, external consultants, suppliers, building contractors, peers at other QMA and Qatari institutions.
• Assist with museum permanent exhibition design needs on a secondment basis as instructed by CMO.
• In collaboration with relevant QM teams and external stakeholders, produce concept 3D design drawings and visuals for approval.
• In collaboration with relevant QM teams, internal or external graphic design consultants and external stakeholders, produce concept graphic designs for approval as needed.
• Develop 3D design drawings and construction documentation, specifications, and schedules as required for delivery.
• Develop dual language graphic design solutions (English and Arabic) in collaboration with internal or external design consultants and QM content development teams as required for delivery
• Ensure that both 2D and 3D designs develop and are completed in compliance with local and international standards (design, health and safety, access etc.).
• Identify design solutions and detailed layouts for object display, object mount solutions, showcases, exhibition lighting etc. in collaboration with Curatorial, Conservation, Registration, and Exhibition departments.
• Liaise on content development in collaboration with internal QM departments including Communications, Collections, and Education teams. Ensure that this developing content drives the planning, look and feel, of all exhibition designs.
• Prepare Scopes of Work for construction by QM preparators or external contractors.
• Oversee implementation of design documentation in the exhibition build; inspect construction to resolve design details and ensure contractors adhere to design drawings and specifications.
• Work in partnership with Exhibition Project Managers to develop design and construction programmes.
• Develop and maintain an understanding of best practice museum exhibitions standards, including conservation and registration requirements
• Ensure that designs are developed and delivered within specified budgets and meet critical time frames established.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
• Familiarity with sustainable design practices and experience in delivery of multimedia exhibition designs.
• Experience in preparation of tender documentation and supervision of construction.
• Ability to quickly develop knowledge of local design standards and codes for interior design standards in public buildings.
• Proficiency in relevant 2D and 3D design software. Demonstrated knowledge of producing all required levels of technical drawings and visuals.
• Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams
• Demonstrated organisational skills with the ability to meet deadlines and work to strict budgets
• Experience working in multi-cultural and/or multi-lingual environments.
• Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Museum Studies or a 3D-related design field or equivalent experience.
• 6 or more years’ of experience in creating interpretive exhibitions for museums or similar organizations, including design, development and site delivery.