Arab Museum Of Modern Art
Role purpose : The Paper Conservator will be expected to carry out conservation treatments on the Museum’s works on paper, photographs, artists’ books and archive materials care for their physical safety-stability and keep detailed records of the work carried out.The Paper Conservator will be expected to carry out conservation treatments on the Museum’s works on paper, photographs, artists’ books and archive materials care for their physical safety-stability and keep detailed records of the work carried out.
- Supports administration and procurement for the Paper section
- Maintains accurate records of all work undertaken and enter the data into the Museum's computerised record system and contribute to the museum’s understanding and cataloguing of its collection.
- Follows correct policies and procedures according to Mathaf/QM.
- Provides performance updates; daily communication and coordination of activities
- Assists with day to day running of the Conservation Laboratory
- Responsible for all conservation matters relating to works on paper including the conservation mount and framing of graphic works.
- Implements solutions for infested graphic works and perform treatments.
- Undertakes condition surveys
- Assessments of Condition Reports.
- Responsible for monitoring and controlling the environment in which collections are stored or displayed to prevent deterioration
- Carries out conservation treatments on the Museum’s Paper collections, care for relevant collections, ensure their physical safety-stability and keep detailed records of the work carried out.
- Applies preventive conservation principles and care of collections with interest into Paper
- Works as part of the Curatorial Affairs Dept. and provide accurate information to Mathaf staff.
- Publishes his/her work, under the Mathaf/QM policies and procedures
- Packs objects for transport and accompanying objects in transit to other locations if required
- Organizes the logistics of long term projects and collaborating with other conservators
- Assists with setting up exhibitions
- Oversees and supervises Visiting Academics and Scholars
- Communicates the paper conservation activities with colleagues, special interest groups and occasionally to the general public.
- Represents QM/Mathaf as a conservator expert
- Carries out any activity as assigned by the Head of Conservation
- Fluent communication in English
- Specific knowledge and expertise in the conservation of works on paper, photographs, books, archive materials and artworks framing with conservation methods.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of museum conservation ethics and best practices.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility and ability to work collegially with conservation, collection and exhibitions teams.
- Demonstrated ability to drive project completion on time, in a detailed manner and with a strong work ethic.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team
- Interested in professional development
- Must be able to make presentations on her/his projects
- Communication in Arabic and/or other languages suitable
- Being familiar with Modern and Contemporary Art materials and methodologies of conservation.
- Basic knowledge in North Africa and Middle East Modern and Contemporary Art
- Have a good network of specialised contacts
- Bachelor degree in conservation from a recognized university. Post graduate degree and / or PhD are desirable.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in conservation