Head of Exhibitions Management
The Head of Exhibitions Management is responsible for overseeing the work of the Centralized Exhibitions team as it relates to the planning, development, and delivery of exhibitions and site specific installations, including managing exhibition budgets and communications. Develops all QM exhibitions contracts, budgets, and schedules and responsible for preparing and reviewing exhibitions related policies and procedures. Liaises with internal and external partners to deliver QM generated, travelling exhibitions, including vendors and partners abroad, and oversees the work of exhibition-related to contractors.
The Head of Exhibitions Management leads the Exhibition Projects meetings within QM and oversees the overall implementation of projects.
Exemplar project management for all exhibitions and site-specific installations. High attention to detail when it comes to contract management, staying on schedule and within budget. High level of project management expertise and a solution orientated focus is necessary to succeed at this job.
Provides leadership through example as well as recruit, mentor and train teams, including junior staff and interns.
- Develops and oversees the management of budgets related to all exhibitions, including budget forecasting (in consultation with the relevant departments) and cost management during project development and delivery. Moreover, coming up with alternative contingency projects plans when necessary.
- Develops and oversee the general budget and expenditures for the Exhibitions Department.
- Tracks all Exhibitions budget expenditure.
- Must be able to manage budgets over minimum of QR 4,000,000.
- Must work closely with Director of Exhibitions, QM Procurement, QM Legal Affairs, QM Finance Departments and other departments based on the project requirements.
- Under the direction of the Director of Exhibitions, the Head of Exhibitions Management must be able to create Exhibitions budget proposals and alternates for every current and projected fiscal years.
- Oversees the planning and progress of exhibitions and site-specific installations. Initiate or coordinate collaborations with other local, regional or international institution and partners.
- Under the direction of the Director of Exhibitions, the Head of Exhibitions Management also communicates and negotiates with internal and external partners to develop agreements for the delivery of temporary and travelling exhibitions.
- Responsible for developing all related exhibition policies and procedures.
- Responsible for receiving and reviewing all exhibition proposals as well as developing a system of workflow for all received proposals.
- Maintain and update MIA exhibitions schedule and making it accessible to relevant involved parties.
- Provides mentoring support for Exhibition Department staff.
- Ensures that all exhibitions are delivered within budget and according to schedule by overseeing the work of Exhibition Project Specialists relating to the planning, budgeting, scheduling, communication, and the design and installation of exhibitions.
- Reviews and makes recommendations on parts of the workflow and approvals of the Exhibition Policy.
- In collaboration with the Head of Exhibition Design, ensures that the exhibition design and build is completed in compliance with local and international standards (design, health and safety, access etc.).
- Archiving of files for all past exhibitions and final work product as prescribed by the Director of Exhibitions.
- Prepares monthly and quarterly Exhibition Department reports.
- Reviews and updates quarterly Individual Development Plans for supervised staff.
- Must follow QM exhibition policies and procedures.
- Must undergo regular exhibitions related development and training.
- Must be able to manage a team and delegate work to each member.
- Project management for all exhibitions and site-specific installations, specifically focused on exceptional contract management, budgets and schedules.
- Under the direction of the Director of Exhibitions, the Head of Exhibitions Management manages the exhibitions program. Works closely with curators and program staff to develop and implement multi-year plans for exhibition and site-specific projects throughout the museum.
- Oversees all stages of planning and implementation for QM exhibitions and assigned off-site exhibitions; ensures smooth and effective execution of these exhibitions (e.g. on time and within budget).
- Ensures the highest level of work production from partners and vendors.
- Develops and implements tools and measurements to evaluate success of tasks and projects connected to this position.
- Manages all exhibition planning and implementation meetings with appropriate staff; facilitates communication between all parties involved in exhibition planning and implementation and provide leadership to resolve conflicts.
- Works with QM operations to develop exhibition expense projections for exhibitions. Tracks and manages the annual exhibition budget.
- Reviews all invoices related to assigned exhibitions with departmental staff and ensure invoicing of participation fees is processed in accordance with the contract schedule.
- Works with QM Operations' Legal Department to develop contracts and conduct negotiations with exhibition partners; ensures all contractual obligations are met.
- Collaborate with Curatorial and other content partners to develop exhibitions and commissions for presentation at Exhibitions Department and selected other venues.
- Work closely with several QM departments related to all parts of the exhibitions process.
- Extensive and proven knowledge of exhibition management and knowledge of museum standards and procedures.
- A high level of expertise in the planning, development and implementation of exhibitions.
- Knowledge of current museum practices and trends.
- Highly organised with extensive project management experience, including planning and monitoring budgets, developing and tracking timelines and preparing tender documentation and scopes of work.
- Extensive project management experience in a museum, creative, or construction capacity, and in compiling complex reports.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Experience negotiating and managing contracts and legal agreements.
- Experience managing others staff effectively and working collaboratively in team settings.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to inspire and support a team of peers – motivating and guiding others.
- Experience developing and managing budgets in excess of QR 4,000,000.
- Must have excellent and superior written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills in English.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Projects and Outlook.
- Excellent organizational ability. Attention to detail.
- Willingness to travel, as needed.
- Flexible approach to work, but highly committed.
- 5-10 years of experience working in Exhibitions Management area for a museum, gallery or foundation. Preferably in museum’s sector