Head Of Exhibitions
National Museum of Qatar
Last Date Of Application:
About the Job:
Role purpose : The Head of Exhibitions is responsible for a wide range of exhibitions management planning and implementation according to the museum plan and QM Policies & Procedures.
- work with the Director of the National Museum and the Jean Nouvel architectural planning team to realize the best possible solutions for the main exhibitions and International Gallery so that a variety of collections, media, and installations can be efficiently and professionally handled and installed in the new Museum.
- Assist with the development and installation of the core Galleries of the National Museum, working closely with the Deputy Director for Curatorial & Collections Management, the registrars, curators, consultants, and specialists responsible for the content and themes presented in the galleries.
- Provide a process as new acquisitions are incorporated into the core exhibition, the by which to translate tangible/intangible objects into the permanent galleries.
- Organize the inaugural special exhibition for the International Gallery, and on-going exhibitions.
- Direct and manage all aspects of exhibitions design and development, installation and de-installation in the temporary galleries
- Conduct design review meetings
- Manage Internal and External information flow, and lead the entire exhibition process as the liaison between the NMoQ, QM and contracted exhibition design firms
- Participate in overall institutional planning and develop the strategy and plan for the NMoQ Exhibitions section
- Other duties as assigned
- Manage team on a day-to-day basis, address performance issues, ensure effective communication and that all deadlines are met by the team, manage appraisals and deal with issues as and when they arise
- Prepare strategic objectives, allocate departmental tasks and compile individual development plans for all Exhibitions
- Ensure in-house opportunities for staff training and support team members in developing skills and knowledge appropriate to current and future roles
- Drive effective recruitment activities as appropriate and ensure departmental staffing is commensurate with strategic goals
- Develop departmental budget forecasts and ensure correct expenditure and budget records throughout the fiscal year
- Facilitate budget development for Exhibitions with other Heads to produce final budget for Deputy Directors approval
- Finance administration in Oracle as required
- Central point for collation and development of Exhibitions Calendar and all associated activities, reporting etc.
About The Applicant:
- Solid knowledge of all aspects of museum exhibition design and development, installation with demonstrated successful leadership in team processes
- Demonstrated ability to create virtual artifacts for exhibition design development
- Demonstrated project management experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, PhotoShop and other design applications; knowledge of video production project managing and interactive media.
- Excellent written, communication, planning and presentation skills.
- Excellent time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to lead, mentor and supervise co-workers, and volunteers in a variety of tasks
- Minimum Master’s Degree in Arts – Art History, Museum Studies, Graphic Design, industrial Design or similar
- Minimum 8 years with Museums and Exhibitions-specific experience; 10+ years total relevant experience with ascending roles of responsibility