Curator of Natural Science
National Museum of Qatar
Last Date Of Application:
About the Job:
Role purpose : Responsible to develop and deliver high quality research and content material of natural history related to core exhibition development and related activates of research, scholars, and publications.
- Develop the Research Strategy for Natural Science material
- Responsible for research and documentation of the natural science collections.
- Overseeing the National Museum’s program for documenting nature and the environment in Qatar, inclusive of research on the collections, continuing research for the core exhibition of the new National Museum, and the conception and development of temporary exhibitions in these areas.
- Works closely with the Museum’s Associate Deputy Director for Curatorial regarding the preservation and care of material culture and media that document natural and environmental issues in Qatar.
- Advise on the acquisition of collections to realize a representative body of objects and media for exhibition and study in the Museum, as well as work closely with the Exhibitions team to ensure complete and accurate content for the core exhibition.
- Partner with other National Museum staff particularly the Education and Programs teams on matters of Interpretation and the Visitor Experience for the galleries and programs of the new National Museum.
- Maintain a high standard recognized academic output and contributing to international scholarship.
- Work as a team member with colleagues within and beyond the department on working parties and committees, for example research strategies.
- Act as an advocate, to represent the museum externally where appropriate, e.g. in dealings with stakeholders and partners, ensuring positive relationships and enhancement of the organisation’s reputation.
About The Applicant:
- Intellectual authority on the natural and environmental sciences generally, or a specialist in a sub-discipline, preferably in the Arabian Gulf.
- Solid record of scientific publications in peer-reviewed periodicals and conference/seminar presentations on related subjects.
- Knowledge of the customs and cultural sensitivities in Qatar in particular and Gulf countries in general.
- Knowledge of and preservation and documentation standards related to natural history collections.
- Solid understanding of museum collecting and research ethics.
- Excellent written, communication, presentation, and negotiation skills
- Excellent budget and project management skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, database software.
- Knowledge of Arabic helpful.
- PhD in Natural Science, Environmental Science, or a closely related sub-discipline, preferably with a research focus in the Arabian Gulf.
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience (field work, academia, museums).