Curator of Maritime and Coastal History
National Museum of Qatar
Role purpose : Responsible to develop and deliver high quality research and content material for NMOQ Maritime and Costal History related to core exhibition development and related activates of research, scholars, and publications.
- Develop the Research Strategy for Maritime and Coastal History material
- Research into the maritime collections held by NMoQ, and will be expected to establish a research strategy and undertake fieldwork in Qatar. The role-holder must demonstrate an excellent research and fieldwork track record
- Establishing international collaborations with specialists to further the National Museum’s collections and research agenda, implementing general and object-specific research programs resulting in exhibitions and publications accessible to scholars and the general public.
- Publishing on the collections in local and international journals and publications
- Incorporating international research methodologies, methods of interpretation, and academic standards into the Museum’s curatorial operations
- Ensure accurate and detailed documentation of the archaeology collections held by NMoQ. The Curator must demonstrate an excellent understanding of museum documentation systems, in particular EMU. He/she will work closely with the Deputy Director of Collections to ensure archaeological collections are documented to international standards.
- Partner with other National Museum staff particularly the Education and Programs teams on matters of Interpretation and the Visitor Experience for the galleries and programs of the new National Museum.
- Maintain a high standard recognized academic output and contributing to international scholarship.
- Work as a team member with colleagues within and beyond the department on working parties and committees, for example research strategies.
- Act as an advocate, to represent the museum externally where appropriate, e.g. in dealings with stakeholders and partners, ensuring positive relationships and enhancement of the organisation’s reputation.
- The Curator of Maritime and Coastal History will be an intellectual authority in the field of the maritime history, archaeology and heritage of Qatar, the Gulf and broader Middle East region.
- Excellent knowledge of the key maritime historical sites and material culture of Qatar and the Gulf/Middle East.
- Experience of maritime-related fieldwork in Qatar and/or the Gulf
- Good record of research and publishing on relevant maritime subjects
- Experience in museums
- Knowledge of preservation and documentation standards of museum collections.
- Solid understanding of collecting and research ethics.
- Knowledge of the KE Emu Collections Management System helpful, or similar CMS
- Excellent written, communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, database software
- Knowledge of Arabic helpful.
- PhD in Maritime History/Archaeology
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience (field work, academia, museums) with an excellent understanding of the maritime history of Qatar and the Arabian Gulf.