Assistant Curator - Life Sciences
National Museum of Qatar
Last Date Of Application:
About the Job:
Role purpose : Responsible for assisting the Curator of Natural Sciences in the management and development of the material of the natural science collections of NMoQ.
- Collections documentation – working with the collections documentation team to maintain up to date and accurate Emu records on all objects in the relevant collection
- Collections preservation – working with the Conservation and Collections team to ensure proper storage and preservation of scientific specimens
- Assisting the Curator, Natural Sciences in research and fieldwork relevant to the NMoQ collections
- Assisting the Curator, Natural Sciences, in developing material on the NMoQ collections and collection areas for publication
- Working with the NMoQ Programmes Team to provide material for educational programming around Life Sciences
- Maintain good relationship e.g. in dealings with stakeholders and partners, ensuring positive relationships and enhancement of the organisation’s reputation.
- Collaborate with other institutions or groups nationally and internationally and to develop or ensure good relations with relevant stakeholders.
- Develop relationships with International Networks of Museums and represent the museum in the discussions for new developments, works, partnerships.
- Develop partnerships with relevant Academic Institutions to accomplish the documentation and the needed research for mutual benefit
About The Applicant:
- Academic background in a relevant scientific field (e.g. biology, marine biology, zoology, botany).
- Experience of research and field work
- Experience in museums, museum programs and exhibitions,
- Knowledge of preservation and documentation standards of museum collections.
- Excellent written and communication
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, database software
- Knowledge of the KE Emu Collections Management System helpful, or similar CMS
- It is desirable to be fluent Arabic-English
- MA from a recognised university in a relevant scientific field (e.g. biology, marine biology, zoology, botany)
- Minimum of 2 years of professional experience (field work, academia, museums) with an understanding of the scientific topics of the Arabian Gulf. Knowledge of the natural history and environments of Qatar and the Gulf/Middle East.