Assistant Curator - Intangible Cultural Heritage
National Museum of Qatar
Role purpose : Responsible for assisting the Curator, Ethnography & Social History in the management of the ethnographic and social history collections, and managing and developing intangible material (e.g. oral histories)
- Work with the Curator, Ethnography & Social History, to develop a strategy for documenting and recording Qatar’s intangible cultural heritage such as songs, stories, music and dances
- Assist the Curator, Ethnography & Social History, in implementing the ethnographic collections documentation and research strategy
- Assist in the delivery of relevant material for educational programming on ethnography, social history and intangible cultural heritage
- Assist in the development of material for relevant temporary exhibitions and for updating the permanent galleries of NMoQ when necessary
- Work with the DAM team maintain and develop the NMoQ oral history archive, and plan and implement new oral histories when necessary
- Maintain good relationship e.g. in dealings with stakeholders and partners, ensuring positive relationships and enhancement of the organisation’s reputation.
- Collaborate with other institutions or groups nationally and internationally and to develop or ensure good relations with relevant stakeholders.
- Develop relationships with International Networks of Museums and represent the museum in the discussions for new developments, works, partnerships.
- Develop partnerships with relevant Academic Institutions to accomplish the documentation and the needed research for mutual benefit
- Experience in the ethnography and intangible cultural heritage of Qatar and the Gulf.
- Knowledge of the material culture, intangible heritage, customs and cultural sensitivities of the Qatar and the Gulf/Middle East.
- Experience of research and field work
- Experience in museums, museum programs and exhibitions
- Knowledge of preservation and documentation standards of museum collections.
- Proficient written and communication
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, database software
- Knowledge of Digital Assets Management systems and KE Emu Collections Management System helpful, or similar CMS
- Language skills: Fluent Arabic essential
- MA in Anthropology or relevant social /cultural or scientific field:
- Minimum 2 years of professional experience (Field work, academia, museums) with an understanding of the topics of the Arabian Gulf.