Deputy Director of Curatorial Affairs
Qatar Olympic and Sports Museum
Role purpose : Effectively manage and oversee Qatar Olympic & Sports Musuem (QOSM) Curatorial Affairs, which include the following departments: Collection, Conservation, Exhibitions, Curatorial and Research. Serve as a liaison between QOSM and Qatar Museum (QM) to work on projects with centralized functions in all QOSM’s Curatorial Affairs related business. Effectively manage and oversee QOSM’s Curatorial Affairs, which include the following departments: Collection, Conservation, Exhibitions, Curatorial and Research. Serve as a liaison between QOSM and QM to work on projects with centralized functions in all QOSM’s Curatorial Affairs related business.
- Work with curatorial departments to facilitate access to resources and cross departments collaboration, in-line with museum business plan.
- Advocate for the curatorial division, including collections, curatorial, conservation, research and Exhibitions, to ensure the staff has the support and resources to maintain curatorial excellence.
- Support to the Director, in collaboration with all divisions to implement museum policies, activities, and priorities. Support the director to identify and hire staff as needed for curatorial departments, and hire consultants as needed on projects basis.
- Oversee and implement QOSM’s special projects or initiatives as requested, in-line with the museum’s strategy. Oversee the development and management of a Collection while determine conservation priorities, planning and procedures to strengthen the collection in collaboration with the Collection and Conservation teams.
- Promote and oversee the circulation of the Museum collection in regional and international museums, loans and publishing, in accordance with QM and Qatar strategic relations.
- Share knowledge, expertise, and provide leadership and strategic implementation of the museum curatorial affairs, including mentorship opportunities for young Qatari professionals.
- Assist the director in long-range institutional planning, such as establishing programmatic, collection development, and research priorities, conservation planning, and annual/strategic planning, including the business plan review and implementation.
- Work in collaboration with appropriate QOSM’s staff to prepare an annual department budget for curatorial affairs related departments.
- Plan, organize and support all research for QOSM’s collections
- Oversee the execution of loan requests; work closely with conservators, curators, registrars, and director to ensure all loans as per QM loan policies.
- Oversee and support the curatorial staff to organize and present collection exhibitions and execute strategic curatorial projects.
- Work collaboratively with curators, director, and centralized QM Acquisitions to oversee acquisition priorities and documentation.
- Knowledge of the regional Sport’s & Olympic history & museums, with international networks in the subject fields.
- Evidence of leadership, budgeting, project management and organizational skills.
- Have excellent writing, public speaking and communication skills, and ability to manage multiple projects.
- Have supervisory experience, demonstrated ability to foster teamwork and collaboration.
- Proficiency in English and preferably Arabic as well. Other languages suitable.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and CMS systems.
- Have advanced degree in Sport& Olympic history, museum studies, or related field, with minimum Masters.
- Minimum ten (10) years’ work experience in museums; minimum five (5) year experience in a management role overseeing a curatorial program. Experience in acquiring, researching, exhibiting, and publishing on Sport & Olympic history