Deputy Director of Curatorial Affairs
Arab Museum Of Modern Art
Role Purpose: Effectively manage and oversee Mathaf Curatorial Affairs, which include the following departments: Collection, Conservation, Exhibitions, Curatorial and Research.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITES
• Assist the director in long-range institutional planning, such as establishing programmatic, collection development, and research priorities, conservation planning, and annual/strategic planning, including the business plan review and implementation
• Support to the Director, in collaboration with all divisions to implement museum policies, activities, and priorities
• Support the director to identify and hire staff as needed for curatorial departments, and hire consultants as needed on projects basis.
• Work with curatorial departments to facilitate access to resources and cross departments collaboration, in-line with museum business plan.
• Advocate for the curatorial division, including collections, curatorial, conservation, research and Exhibitions, to ensure the staff has the support and resources to maintain curatorial excellence.
• Oversee the execution of loan requests; work closely with conservators, curators, registrars, and director to ensure all loans as per QM loan policies.
• Plan, organize and support all research for Mathaf collections including the research archive and Encyclopaedia of Modern Art and the Arab World.
• Oversee and support the curatorial staff to organize and present collection exhibitions and execute strategic curatorial projects.
• Serve as a liaison between Mathaf and QM to work on projects with centralized functions in all Mathaf Curatorial Affairs related business.
• Work collaboratively with curators, director, and centralized QM Acquisitions to oversee acquisition priorities and documentation.
• Share knowledge, expertise, and provide leadership and strategic implementation of the museum curatorial affairs, including mentorship opportunities for young Qatari professionals.
FINANCIAL BUDGETARY CONTROL
• Work in collaboration with appropriate Mathaf staff to prepare an annual department budget for curatorial affairs related departments.
• Budget planning and reporting, to top management
• Demonstrated ability of senior level skill sets and competencies within curatorial affairs division (curatorial, collections management, conservation, exhibitions)
• Proof of strategic planning and fiscal responsibilities
• Ability to provide inspiring and visionary leadership to team of curatorial affairs
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and CMS systems.
• MA or PhD degree in art history, museum studies, visual arts, or related field, with minimum Masters
• Minimum ten (10) years’ work experience in museums; minimum five (5) year experience in a management role overseeing a curatorial program. Experience in supervisory role.