Deputy Director Of Operations
National Museum of Qatar
Role purpose: The Deputy Director of Operations will provide operational leadership and direction, broadly define and comprehensible metrics for operational success, provide short- and long-term strategic goals and objectives, and lead special projects as designated by the Museum Director. Oversee the operational management of the museum, including facilities management, office administration and logistics, security and all relevant operational functions to ensure that the Museum runs smoothly and efficiently at all times, while meeting set budgets.
Leading the transition to the new premises
• Take a lead role in planning, managing and delivering the move to the new premises and will work closely with the Museum Director to ensure a smooth and successful transition.
• Directly responsible for operational readiness and the development and implementation of an efficient, effective and appropriate operational system for the National Museum of Qatar.
Manage NMoQ Recruitment
• Managing the full recruitment cycle including new-hire induction and mobilization.
Oversee NMoQ Procurement and Finance
• Comprehending and managing the full procurement and finance cycle and follow-through of QMA procedures for Material Requisitions, Supplies, Services, Equipment Maintenance/Repairs, Petty Cash, invoice payment and budgeting.
• Responsible for managing operations budgets across the museum, ensuring that all contractors and suppliers deliver best value for money and meet the museum’s requirements.
• Oversee capital expenditure on projects related to the maintenance of the Museum’s building and operational assets.
• Gain a comprehensive grasp of the current annual budget; monitor and control costs and continually drive efficiencies
• Provides strategic and operational leadership of all activities in maintenance, building operations, construction, renovation, and engineering.
• Manages office renovations, relocation and move management, maintains inventory and records for museum furniture, fixtures, equipment, and fixed assets; and manages facility contracts with outside vendors in collaboration with the centralized department.
Health and Safety
• Promote high standards in safety, health and welfare for both staff and visitors.
Day to day leadership and direction
• Provide leadership, strategy and direction, and take the lead in developing best practices in all operational aspects of the Museum; build upon the Museum’s capacity to effectively serve, and engage with its visitors
• Oversee office management and day to day IT logistics, including phone system and gallery audio visual; work with IT Department to support broader goals for information systems
• With the Facilities Department, ensure the functional optimization of Museum buildings by addressing operational, aesthetic, security and safety issues in the most cost-effective manner; assure that the buildings maintain highest standards for cleanliness and attention to detail in both public and office spaces; coordinate major capital projects;
• With the Security Department and Visitor Lead Coordinator , oversee and promote the highest standards for visitor services and security; ensure the efficient and amiable delivery of reception, security and visitor services functions;
• With the Events Department, optimize opportunities related to event functions including development of new private event options, strategies for building clientele, policies, procedures, operations, and standards.
• Oversee and ensure that all operational and business development (retail, private events, others TBD) aspects of the Museum are aligned with the institution’s core values, as well as with the Museum’s mission and vision.
• Ensuring all QMA procedures and protocol are respected and followed within the Director’s Office as well as all of NMoQ
• Regular reporting to the NMoQ Director on the Museum’s operations
• Develop a strategic plan leading to the Museum's accreditation.
• Perform other tasks as may be assigned by the Museum Director
• Successful candidate will be decisive, observant, and innovative.
• Successful candidate must demonstrate cultural, religious, race, gender, and age sensitivities and adaptabilities.
• Successful candidate will possess a sense of adventure and nimbleness, with a “can do” attitude and proactive approach to all work.
• Effective and persuasive communication skills; able to write and speak clearly and present information to a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders
• Knowledge of exhibition installation techniques, materials, processes and technologies are helpful
• Flexibility of working hours required to meet deadlines.
• Minimum bachelor's degree preferably in engineering
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office; excellent calendar management skills; excellent Internet-based research skills; web programs, security systems, social media, and other digital technologies, additional proficiency in MAC OS-X preferable.
• Excellent written and communication skills.
• Fluency in Arabic & English.
• Minimum of 3 years’ work experience in a an operational leadership role in a fast-paced, preferably a start-up office.
• Proven track record of successful organization of staff; ability to motivate staff and foster positive work environment
• Ability to work with budgets
• Ability to manage the operations of a complex facility and its staff
• Ability to make critical judgments and collaboration; consistent drive and ability to take ideas from vision to implementation
• Experience working with government procedures and protocol, and/or the museum/design field preferable.